Staying Healthy While Traveling

12:36 PM Jackie Mart 0 Comments


I've been traveling a lot back and forth to Minneapolis for work so I thought I would give you a few tips and suggestions on how I manage to keep up with my healthy lifestyle while I'm on the go! 

Gyms: locate one near where you are staying. Some hotels even offer free day passes at local gyms! Ask at the front desk. I have an Anytime Fitness gym membership so I can workout at any gym across the US. Most gyms, yoga, pilates, spin, boxing, and martial arts studios also offer a free week to new potential members or online discount coupons so take advantage of those if you can! Your hotel may even have a small fitness center. 

Lace up your tennies and walk around the airport terminal while waiting for flights. Extra points if you speed walk up and down the escalators instead of standing on them! 

Find a walking/jogging trail or park. I always keep my rollerblades or snowshoes in my trunk in case I want to venture out! 

Do BURST exercise training in your hotel room (Interval training). No equipment needed! (Contact me for workout plans)  




Hotels: Take the stairs! Carry your luggage up for a great workout. I always ask for a room on the top floor for this reason. 




Stop at a grocery store. Pack a cooler and stock up on: 

Filtered Water
Coconut Water
Milk Alternatives-unsweetened almond, flax, hemp, or coconut milks
Cold-Pressed Juices
Herbal Teas (hotels usually have a coffee maker to heat up water) 
Raw Nuts
Raw Seeds
Organic String cheese
Fruit
Raw Veggies
Gluten Free Crackers
Larabars or any other raw food bars
Nut butters
Hummus
Salsa
Corn Tortilla or Bean Chips
Popcorn
Salad Greens and Sprouts
Kale Chips
Greek Yogurt
Hard Boiled Eggs
Beans and Lentils
Tuna


Hotel breakfast: opt for the protein choices: eggs, meat and stay away from the high sugar selections: juice, waffles, pancakes, muffins, donuts, rolls, toast, sugared cereals, sweetened yogurt,  yes, even oatmeal! Fruit is also a better choice. The lowest sugar fruits are berries and Granny Smith (green) apples. Or bring some of your own protein powder, greens powder and a shaker cup for a quick, easy breakfast! 

Seek out restaurants nearby that serve local, organic, fresh, clean food! 

And lastly, turn your hotel stay into a spa retreat by soaking in the bathtub with a deep pore cleansing facial mask or peel and a good book! Unwind and de-stress. I do this often when I travel alone! 


**For more health and wellness tips be sure to follow me on Facebook




Copyright, 2014, Jackie Mart. For further information about this blog, or Optimum Wellness LLC, contact Jackie Mart at 712.790.5883 or Jackie@OptimumWellnessMN.com. As a holistic nutrition and lifestyle coach, I will support you in taking steps to a healthier and happier you. My goal is to help you create an art of balance in your life. You will also learn how important balance between primary foods (relationships, physical activity, sleep, career and spirituality) and secondary foods (organic food and whole food) is.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: