Keeping those "Creepers" Away- Self Defense

7:34 AM Jackie Mart 0 Comments

I have been trying alot of new things lately and am loving it!! Last night, my friend Kim and I attended a free self-defense class offered through the Minneapolis Community Education Program. It was very engaging and informative!!! The instructor was hilarious!

I do not live in the safest neighborhood and had a run-in with a couple of drunk guys in my back alleyway before Christmas, resulting in being groped, and scraped hands and knees. I have not felt safe since!! I am not very big so I thought this class would be a great learning tool for me.

Did you know most women are attacked by someone they know?

Victims often report that something made them feel "uneasy" even before the attack began. The most useful thing you can do to upset an attacker's scenario and regain the initiative is to trust your feelings!!! You don't need to wait to find out why you feel uneasy before acting!

If you don't feel right about a person or situation, get or keep some distance. Don't assume that an attacker will always be a stranger. There are times when I have avoided strange men by crossing the street and using the other sidewalk, especially late at night when I am coming back to my studio.

Have strong body language: feet hip width apart with some space between them from front to back also. If a verbal response is required in a situation use simple statements and commands that refer only to what "I want" or "I don't want." Examples: "I want you to leave me alone!" "I want you to stay away from me!" "I don't want you to touch me!"

When physical resistance if the only chance for you to get away safely remember to use your arms and legs as weapons. Hard surfaces to strike with are: fist, fingers/nails, heel of your hand, edges of your hand, elbows, knees, ball of the foot, outside edge of the foot, and the heel.

Other safety measures to consider: whistles, air horns, pepper spray, tasers, or etc. But remember they can also be used against you!!!

Pay attention to your surroundings! Stay off your cell phone, hold keys in your hand, park under light poles, scan the area, tell people where you are going and when you will be home!!

I carry pepper spray on my keyring and have a baseball bat underneath my bed!!! Do whatever works for you!! Stay safe!!! :)

For more infomation: www.bpscom.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments: